Sunday, June 10, 2012

Roll On

I've been spending more time than usual lately traveling...and traveling by car vs. plane.  As I've been driving across Southern Illinois and Missouri I've been reminded of one big difference between life in the Mid-West and life inside the Beltway.

Semi-trucks.

Where we lived and spent most of our time on the road (a lot of time on the road) in DC we rarely ever saw semi's.  They tended to route around the area, rather than cruising through the heart of the Beltway. 

Here, whether its on Highway 70 or 44, semi's are EVERYWHERE.  I know they serve a good purpose, but wow, I don't like being on the road near them.  I try to avoid getting sandwiched in by them, and hustle past them every chance I get.

On one drive last week I had one semi cut me off, forcing me to hit the brakes in a hurry.  There was another pair of semi's traveling side by side, ten miles below the speed limit--this went on for the better part of ten minutes, I assume the drivers were having a conversation.

The best was the car that had a little dog that clearly didn't like the trucks.  I watched this car as they passed half a dozen of these 18 wheelers.  Each time the car got up next to the truck, the little dog stuck it's head out the back window and barked like crazy.  When they passed the truck, the dog stopped.  Next truck...here comes the barking.  If I hadn't been behind the wheel, I probably would have pulled out my camera to video it, it was that funny.


No comments:

Post a Comment