Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Feeling Old....

Scanning the news this morning, I saw the annual Beloit College Mindset list for the class of 2016 is out.

A few items from the list:

3. The Biblical sources of terms such as ‘‘forbidden fruit,’’ ‘'the writing on the wall,’’ ‘'good Samaritan,’’ and ‘‘the promised land’’ are unknown to most of them.

   **Really?  This screams a disinterest or lack of commitment on the parents of this generation of kids for teaching about faith, the Bible, or taking them to church or Sunday school.  This is a big problem in my view.  I've just started reading "You Lost Me" by David Kinnaman about why young Christians are leaving the church.  There's so much to think about in this book that it's taking a long time to read.

5. If they miss The Daily Show, they can always get their news on YouTube.

20. Exposed bra straps have always been a fashion statement, not a wardrobe malfunction to be corrected quietly by well-meaning friends.

30. There have always been blue M&Ms, but no tan ones.

     **If I wasn't already feeling old, I remember being in grade school college when the big debate was brewing about what color the "new" M&M would be.

47. Before they buy an assigned textbook, they will check to see whether it’s available for rent or purchase as an e-book.

     **We were just happy to find a good condition used textbook.

48. They grew up, somehow, without the benefits of Romper Room.

     **How this is possible I don't know.  My boys just don't get it when I say "I see Christian and Connor" as I pretend to look through my pretend magic mirror.

71. Despite being preferred urban gathering places, two-thirds of the independent bookstores in the United States have closed for good during their lifetimes.

     **This is just sad.

Reading through the list, I'm alternately depressed about some of the "norms" for these kids and shocked at how old I feel.  The feeling of "old" only got worse when I tried to find the Mindset list for the year I entered college.

It didn't exist when I started college.

The first Beloit Mindset list was released for the Class of 2002 in 1998.



No comments:

Post a Comment