Friday, September 30, 2011

Trying to be Crafty

I'm not a naturally crafty person.  I want to be.  I see the clever and lovely things that many of my friends can pull together and think, wow, I want to be able to do that.  But, after being at the office all day, and taking care of the boys, my time and energy are usually wiped out.

Aside:  Last night my oldest said to me: "Mommy, I love you you so much that I want you to be able to do everything for me.  Because I love you and I know you love me!"  All I'd asked him to do was put on his shoes.

So there isn't always a lot of energy left to be crafty.  But I still want to be able to make things myself.   If the project is simple and straightforward, I can sometimes pull something together.  And when I do, it's a cause for a little personal celebration.

So, since we've moved I've managed to do about 2 little projects.  They both make me smile.

I made a yarn wreath.  Talk about easy!  Except for my battle with the hot glue gun, this was a breeze, and I love it on our front door.

The wreath was fun to make, so tonight I'm breaking out the glue gun again to make a candy corn wreath.

The bigger project I did, that I'm sure caused DP to panic was repainting a dresser.  I didn't take a before shot of this, but this was an old dresser that used to belong to a neighbor of ours in Collinsville.  Originally it was a bright white, shiny thing with gold trim.  The bottom drawer pull broke, and was on the verge of being thrown out.

But, I've read enough DIY blogs to know that it could be saved.  And I think I saved it!


The picture makes it look more baby blue than it is--it's more a greenish blue in real life.  The bottom drawer pull is still missing.  When I went to Hobby Lobby they didn't have any in stock that were the size I needed that I liked. So until I find some the right size, I spray painted the 2 long pulls, and got new drawer pulls for the top.  I love these:


Now that I know I can do this, I have two other pieces of furniture that are next up for repainting.  Can't wait to tackle those!  

So that is a little peak into my attempt to be crafty.  Thanks to Pinterest and other sites, I have a whole host of projects in mind that I want to do soon.  And, I'm going to find the energy to do them!



No comments:

Post a Comment