Wednesday, May 23, 2012

The Last Day of Kindergarten

Holy cow, I have a first grader now!

Today was the last day of school for the kids at CCLS.  Why does the last day have to fall on a Wednesday??  I suspect that there are reasons that have to do with the teachers, grades, etc., but for working parents, ending on a Wednesday is a bit of a hassle.

But I digress.

Christian summed up his thoughts about the last day this way: "May 23 is going to be the worst day EVER!"

He loves school.  He loves being with his friends. 

I'm raising an extrovert. (An introvert myself, this is challenging!)

Off we headed to school this morning,
Heading into school.

It's also the last day for Connor, but he has one more year of preschool ahead of him. 

The school year ended like it began, with a chapel service.  The entire school (including Connor's preschool class) was there.  Over 500 kids, many parents and teachers, all joining in the celebration.

What a joy.  I'm sure I wasn't the only parent to be a little teary-eyed during chapel today.

Hey, there's Connor!

After chapel, the kids headed back to their rooms for a final good bye with their class.  Christian's class exchanged friendship tokens.  Christian brought a photo to share as his token. 

Then, at 11 am, it was time to say "see you next year.

Christian loves his teacher.  Mrs. Belsha was such a joy.  We couldn't have asked for a better introduction to the community of CCLS.
After school ended, Christian and I headed out for lunch.  While we were there I asked him what he liked best about kindergarten. His reply? "Well, mostly the learning.  But only a little."  Why, I asked.  "Well, because we were learning things I already knew, like how to read.  I've known how to read for a long time--it's easy for me."

Well...this is true.  Time to keep challenging him over the summer.

Now, we're on to the Cardinals game to celebrate the end of the school year. 

Happy summer everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment