Monday, December 5, 2011

RIP Attention Span

I came across this blog post today: How Do We Get Smarter on Innovation

I found this really discouraging, or may sad is the better word.  Basically, the author is questioning whether we really need books anymore.

YES!

I love to read...a basement full of boxes of books that need to be unpacked is proof of my legacy of reading.  Escaping into a book is restorative, and fun.  I'm trying to encourage my boys to love reading (so far it's working).


The author seems to think that in terms of sharing information, there has to be a better way than the stodgy old book.  Shorter, easier and faster to read so that we can be on the the next thing.  Let's bring lots of people together to talk about the topic of the day.  Let's use technology.  Not that these are bad things, but if we abandon books we might as well say good bye to our ability to exercise our brains in any prolonged endeavor.  Goodbye attention span.

Then again, technology seems to be well on its way to breeding a critical mass of people who can't focus on any one thing for more than a matter of seconds.  Maybe they need to unplug and read a book.

I would hate to see a world where people only read in 140 characters or less; or only read/write/publish something if it doesn't exceed a certain number of pages.  There is a place for books...for longer novels and nonfiction.  Give people a chance to shut out technology, shut out the breaking news,  more information RIGHT NOW world and escape.

Use your mind.  Quiet yourself.  Read a real book.


1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with you. My husband has expressed the same concerns many times.

    ReplyDelete