Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Choosing Paint...

The desk that I started re-finishing a couple weeks ago is nearly finished.  I'm really happy with it--I just wish it was done already!  It's taking a while due largely to the limited time I have to work on it.  This is how it goes with any crafty type of project I get a mind to do...I want to do it, but between working outside the home full-time, and keeping up with the boys and the house the rest of the time, the time to work on "fun" projects is tight.

Because the desk is nearly done, and because it is currently in the basement, means that before it is returned to the office, the office will be painted.

Having lived for many years in rentals, we never got to play with color on the walls.  I'm tired of monochrome homes.  I want there to be some life.  Paint is such an easy way to do that.  Most of they house will likely stay subtle, but I do want to have some boldness in the house.  Connor has requested that his room be painted red.  I think he may get one wall red...not the whole room.

The room I'm most focused on right now is the office. One, because it's a wreck right now.  Papers that should be on or in the desk are on the floor, as well as lots of other stuff that needs a home.  Two, because it's not a large room, and because it's a space we will use mainly for working on the computer and reading, it can stand to have some color.

This was my inspiration room (via Pinterest):

The desk is right on.  And we're looking for a chair to recover on Craigslist.  While I love the turquoise color in this picture, after I brought home the first paint sample and DP frowned, I headed back to Home Depot (my new favorite store, second only to Hobby Lobby).  After the bold of my first choice, Martha Stewart Hummingbird Blue (which I really like), I aimed for more muted colors.  I came home with four more samples.

Martha Stewart Shale (a purplish-grey)


Behr Harmonious (the purest blue of the bunch)

Behr Venus Teal (a muted teal)

Martha Stewart Geyser (very similar to the Venus Teal, but a touch more blue)


These chips don't give the truest color and look very similar. On the wall there is quite a bit off difference, but what can you do?

We've narrowed it down to 2 colors, and I think I now what I'm going to do.

What color would you pick?

2 comments:

  1. I think I like the Venus Teal the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's hard to tell from the chips, but i like the middle two. We went through a lot of samples in our living room and just had to keep painting squares on the wall till we found the one we liked. The paint on the wall was totally different than the chips. The wanted blue grey but some of the chips came out too blue that looked blue grey. So i think i'm with steph on Venus Teal, but paint them all on your wall and let them dry...you're going to paint anyway, who cares if you have colors all over it if you get the right one in the end? fun. will be a pretty room.

    ReplyDelete