Wednesday, November 2, 2011

My First Hymnal--Part 2

Last week I shared that Christian was asked to be in a video to promote the new My First Hymnal from CPH.  We had a great time doing the video with Paula (who I think Christian now has a little crush on).

So yesterday the video was released, and as of this afternoon has been viewed by a lot of people (mostly Lutherans, I imagine).

Yikes.

In case you haven't seen it, here is the video.



Today, Christian's school had early dismissal, so he came to visit me at the office.  I took him over to visit the music department.  These wonderful folks are responsible for the My First Hymnal

They were so sweet to Christian during his visit.  David asked Christian for his autograph.  Without saying a word, Christian stepped up, grabbed the pen, and very seriously began to sign his name.







I've heard some reviews/commentary of the video--they've all been good (aw, thanks everyone!).  It's been noted that Christian is too cute.  Yes, yes he is (I might be a little biased).  But one other comment that has kept popping up is how authentic/genuine/real it was.  Well, yes.  We read with our boys--a lot.  And, in particular, we read them Bible stories and take care to teach them about the Bible and about church.  This is the time to ground them in their faith.  If we don't lay the foundation for their faith life now, we can't just expect that it will be there later as they grow up.  This is a huge responsibility for a parent, and one we're taking very seriously.

Christian seems to get it.  I tease that he's a little version of my dad...well, is it teasing if it's true?

It's not uncommon for Christian to pick up the Small Catechism to read. By the way, he's five.  Five.  We shouldn't assume that just because our kids are young, they won't get it. They're smart.  He asked me once, "Mommy, why didn't Martin Luther give us an afternoon prayer."  Umm, go ask Opa.

He asked today, "What was the first theses that Martin Luther nailed to the door?"  How random a question for a five year old.  But, one that shouldn't really surprise us, given that we just celebrated Reformation Day, and kids listen.  They absorb information.  Let's teach them.

That's why the My First Hymnal is so great.  It doesn't talk down to kids. I think this may be why I like it so much.  It doesn't dumb it down, or make it cutesy and watered down.  It gives them the liturgy and hymns in a smart, engaging manner that will help them grow to be active participants in the church service.  It gives them credit for being smart, and helping them to learn.

And as adults, isn't that our duty?

3 comments:

  1. I love the video and I think My First Hymnal is a great idea. I wish there'd been one when we were raising our son.

    I am enjoying your blog very much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I was definitely NOT asking what Luther's first thesis was when I was five. I suspect I was asking when the next meal was coming.

    : )

    Congrats, and God bless your parenting. Wonderful blog post.

    ReplyDelete