Tuesday, March 6, 2012

And Now Comes...Live Pinning

I've said it before, and it's still true.  Pinterest is great.  It's a wonderfully addictive, often helpful, time-suck.  I love it.

Now that most companies, marketers, and other people selling stuff have realized the power of Pinterest, they're all working to get involved to boost their bottom line.  Enter the first Live-Pinner.  This particular woman is one of the leading pinners on Pinterest in terms of her large number of followers.  She'll be going to a fashion shoot and live-pinning things she sees that the company is trying to promote.

While I know this is a huge business, this bugs me.  I don't want to be completely bombarded with advertising all the time.  When I know someone is trying to sell me, I tune out. 

This feeling isn't new for me.  I've never liked pushy sales people.  I really don't pay attention to web-ads or other pop-up ads.  If something screams ADVERTISEMENT, I ignore it.  I don't like the thought of being manipulated into buying something.  The more I learn about sales/marketing/research/etc the more I'm tuning out lots of things.

The nice thing about Pinterest, and other social media, is that I have control over what and who I follow, and ultimately, what I choose to click on.  The same holds for Facebook, Twitter, television ads, etc.  No one is forcing me to pay attention to ads, no matter how subtly the ads are placed. 

I don't have to follow companies or causes if I'm not truly interested in them. I've found that I'm becoming much more selective in what I follow, not only because I don't like to be "sold" but because too much of anything, too many options, tends to overwhelm me (ask my husband, a man who loves options). I would much rather stick with following people who interest me and whose taste I admire.  That's where I find the enjoyment in social media.



No comments:

Post a Comment