Friday, March 9, 2012

Pondering Pink Slime

I stopped at the grocery store tonight.  As I was in the meat department passing by the ground beef, I paused. 

After reading the stories that have been making the rounds about "Pink Slime" I'm going to be thinking twice about the kind of ground beef I buy for my family.

What is this pink slime?

The “pink slime” is made by gathering waste trimmings, simmering them at low heat so the fat separates easily from the muscle, and spinning the trimmings using a centrifuge to complete the separation. Next, the mixture is sent through pipes where it is sprayed with ammonia gas to kill bacteria. The process is completed by packaging the meat into bricks. Then, it is frozen and shipped to grocery stores and meat packers, where it is added to most ground beef.

Ick.

I don't want to bring this stuff  home to my family.  Safe or not, it's not natural.  I'm trying to move towards more real food...natural food...healthy food for our family.  I'm not super stringent about it (I have a huge sweet tooth), but I want to have the majority of food options for the boys be healthy options.  It starts with understanding what is in the food you buy, and how that food impacts your health.

I don't see pink slime making the cut.

No comments:

Post a Comment