Thursday, January 26, 2012

Growing Speed of Vanity Sizing

I had a few minutes to spare a few days ago, so I ducked into an Ann Taylor Loft store.  I've long liked both Loft and it's grown-up sibling, Ann Taylor.  As I was looking around, I saw that they were having a really good sale on their pants.  Since the price was right, I grabbed a few pairs in what I've come to know as "my size" and headed for the dressing room.

Jeesh.  They were too big.

Usually this is a happy problem to have.  But I knew better.  I've not gotten smaller, their sizes are becoming more generous.  Ugh.  And just when I'd gotten used to being able to grab the right size.

Vanity sizing is out of hand.  And, more stores like Loft seem to think that the average woman is 7 feet tall. I don't think I can buy any pants from several stores anymore that don't require hemming to reach a good length.


The federal government tried to standardize women's sizes in the 1940's, but it never took hold.  Vanity sizing is alive and well.  It doesn't really make me feel better about myself to have to buy a smaller size when I know that a company is trying to manipulate me into brand loyalty because I fit a certain size in their brand.  I just wish they would pick a formula and stick with it so I'd know what to expect when I walked into the store.


No comments:

Post a Comment