Tuesday, January 17, 2012

LL Bean is Turning 100

This year marks the 100th birthday celebration for that classic outdoors company, LL Bean.  Happy Birthday to you! 

Growing up, we made several family trips to Maine for our summer vacation.  We stayed in places like Popham Beach, Pemaquid, and one other place on a lake with lots of loons and a dog named cinnamon that I can't recall the name of right now.  The house in Popham Beach had a goose in the yard named Gus...he was one mean bird.

Each trip, we would make a stop at LL Bean in Freeport.  This store is such fun to visit, and memories were certainly made there.  Katie found Marty Moose at LL Bean, and I think she still has Marty living with her.  He's been a part of the family for a long time.

My main memory of the store (other than playing in the tents) and finding a pair of duck boots, which come to think of it, I need to get a new pair to be prepared for the wet winter, happened when I was in grade school. 

Standing in line for the restroom, I started to get woozy.  Then I fainted.  Growing up, I had periodic fainting spells, and this one took me down in the bathroom.  I came to as my dad was rushing into the women's room to get me.  Then, as we were leaving the store, my sister and I began to have one of our usual fights over territory in the back of the car, which because I had just fainted, I won.  Victory!

No comments:

Post a Comment