Saturday, October 15, 2011

Iwo Jima

Last night in DC--tomorrow afternoon I get to fly home to my Bobos.

On my way back to the hotel tonight I decided to swing by Iwo Jima. By far the best time to visit the monuments here is at night. One, they are so much more striking-so powerful at night. Breathtaking really. Two, the crowds are not nearly the issue as they are during the day.

Yes, you'll still see tour buses, but it's not like during the day. I got caught on 14th street by the Washington Monument today, just as the Occupy DC protesters AND all the thousands of people in town for the dedication of the MLK Memorial were gathering at the Monument. Major crowds and major irritation trying to get through traffic.

So tonight I stopped at Iwo Jima for a few minutes to breathe in one if the greatest views of DC. Almost no one else was there-quiet and calm. Powerful. Perfect time to visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment