Saturday, December 3, 2011

Lights, Lights, and Lights

After Christian's basketball game today, the boys and I were finishing up a couple of errands when my mom called.  "What are you doing? Do you want me to bring those icicle lights over and I can hang them?"

Sure, I said...I could help too.  Mom and ladders go hand in hand.  If there is a ladder to climb, she'll be on it.  One infamous incident back when I was a kid involved mom, a tall ladder, and a chainsaw.  Mom won that one, but the chainsaw put up a fight.

But I digress.  She came over to help put lights up on the front of the house.  Connor and I did the back deck over Thanksgiving weekend, but the front was still dark. 

The original thought was that it would take about an hour, but after factoring in a slight change in the plan, and three trips to the store to find an outdoor adapter, it took a bit longer. 

FYI, Mom and her car are to yard work what Mary Poppins and her magical carpet bag are to everything.  Chances are, if you need something, she'll have it. 





Do you see the Christmas tree that is only a third of the way lit?  When it's fully decorated, it will look nice from the street.  But it's only just begun to get its lights on because as I was on strand two, the tree fell over on me.  DP wasn't home, so I spent a good thirty minutes dancing with a large Frasier Fir.  Not exactly what I had in mind.

After the boys learned some new words, that I hope they forget before school on Monday, I was able to talk Christian into helping me.  It took a while, because all he saw was this big tree falling over on me multiple times.  Have you tried to wrangle a big tree that doesn't want to stay up by yourself?  Not easy! 

Finally, Christian and I were able to get it standing straight.  We aren't touching it until DP gets home.


But, the outside lights are up.  The tree will be lit later tonight, I hope. 

1 comment:

  1. Wow you packed a lot of info into this post. Some day everyone will have forgotten the chainsaw episode. I remember a tree falling over when you walked into the house from college.

    The lights look good

    ReplyDelete