Sunday, December 4, 2011

Merry Griswold Christmas

So that squirrel I talked about a few days ago?  Yep, he's still up hiding somewhere in the eaves of the house, playing what sound to be a big set of drums.  Either that or a squirrel sized jackhammer, trying to find his way out.

We'd thought (ok, hoped) that he had fled through Christian's window when we left it open a bit, and gave him a direct line for freedom.  Nope.  This squirrel is either really dumb or really stuck.  I'm not terribly thrilled with either option, as he's still playing in my house.

So he starts his racquet yesterday afternoon.  Mom and I had finished the outside lights, and my hope had been to get the lights on the tree so that we could decorate it.  Well, the squirrel drum show started, leaving me in a panic.

Then, about 15 minutes later, CRASH.  Down comes the tree for the first time.  As I said yesterday, DP wasn't home.

Fast forward, the tree is back up, everything in the house is quiet.

5 am this morning.  CRASH.  Fully lit, and nearly fully decorated, down comes the tree.  Good morning.

DP gets the tree up.  And it's off to church.

The boys and I get home, they decided that they really didn't want to nap today.  I straightened out the tree, replaced some of the ornaments, and stepped away.

About 30 minutes after I'd stepped away.

CRASH.

Oh yeah, the squirrel band has started up again.

And, DP isn't home.

The boys aren't napping.  They've used their imaginations and have wrecked the sun room.

This tree is HEAVY.  I have had an awful time trying to wrangle it up.

After about 90 minutes of trying to fix this, this was the scene.

 Maybe I'll keep it.  It's different, right?

I thought about leaving it, but then I realized that the tree needs water.  Otherwise, all we'll have is a dried out pile of needles all over the floor.

So 30 more minutes or so of wrestling with Frasier.  After having it moved all around the room (care to dance?) I have it propped up against the wall and gave it some water.  It might just stay there.

I think I'll head for the kitchen for a glass of wine and find something to bake.

UPDATE: Mom came over to help.  Seriously, there's not much she can't do.  Tree stand and hammer in hand.  Now, the tree stands.  Fingers crossed that it continues to stand.

No one will be allowed to breathe near the tree til at least December 26.

No comments:

Post a Comment